Take the risks off by proper patient transfer and positioning
19 February 2023
According to different medical research sources, even up to 40% of health cases amongst healthcare givers are spine and muscle complaints, being a result of manual patient handling. Nursing professionals incur occupational diseases including musculoskeletal (MSK) injuries much more often than specialists in any other profession. Safe manual lifting of the patient does not exist. Manual patient handling may be dangerous for both the patient and the nurses.
Hospitals and healthcare providers aim to increase operational efficiency, achieve better clinical outcomes, while avoiding legal claims from patients. Global healthcare challenges, like advanced age of the experienced personnel and the general medical staff shortages make hospital managers and head nurses search for technical solutions which will decrease their teams’ physical and mental stress. Another reason for investing in proper technology are the rising clinical standards and awarness of medical errors, hospital site infections, decubitus, and mechanical injuries.
Mobile patient transfer solution – key change to nursing professionals
Clinicians favor solutions which will immediately release them from lifting patients, without the need of interference in the surgical ward’s architecture. A mobile construction of the transfer system ALVO Transpa allows using it anywhere around a hospital, especially in places where installing a fixed patient transfer unit is impossible. The only prerequisite is having enough space to maneuver the trolley, but not more than is needed for a conventional hospital bed.
The mobile patient transfer solution ALVO Transpa is based on a trolley, with a rolling belt to smoothly move patients by rolling to and from an operating table or a hospital bed. It is especially essential in trauma or bariatric wards. The solution can be operated by one person only, as it is supported by the electric engine. Another staff member is there only to secure the head and the limbs of the patient.
How your hospital will benefit:
- You will get a flexible solution, that can be quickly implemented in any area of the hospital, especially where installing a stationary patient transfer system is not possible
- Economic solution – approx. 40% of the price of a stationary system
- Fast installation, shorter adaptation process
- Hygienic solution – ALVO Transpa will never cross the border between clean and dirty zones
- Fewer devices and tops for cleaning and disinfection
Watch how the ALVO Transpa solution supports safe perioperative patient transfer:
Periooperative patient transfer
Pre-operative patient transfer
Post-operative patient transfer
1. American Nurses Association Backgrounder, 2011 ANA Health & Safety Survey: Hazards of the RN work environment.
2. Effects of patient-handling and individual factors on the prevalence of low back pain among nursing personnel. Research Article: Samaei, Seyed Ehsana; b | Mostafaee, Maryamc | Jafarpoor, Hasanalia | Hosseinabadi, Majid Bagherid, Journal: Work, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 551-561, 2017
3. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Industry Injury and Illness Data (2007). http://www.bls.gov/iif/oshwc/osh/case/ostb1942.pdf. Accessed October 15, 2013